NEW AMSTERDAM MARKET
mission / about / contact
the vision for the seaport
Market vendor directory
defining sustainable
help us build THE MARKET
PRESS, IMAGES & ARCHIVES

JOIN OUR MAILING LIST


facebooktwitterInstagram
 






New Amsterdam Market was founded at the New York City Municipal Building on October 2, 2005 with a mission to support sustainable food production, regional economies, and fair trade through a new community of small businesses.

In December 2007, the market was first staged at the site of New York City's oldest commons, at the East River waterfront in Lower Manhattan where public trade has been conducted since 1642. For seven years, the market grew at this location while championing the preservation and adaptive reuse of the Old Fulton Fish Market, an endangered, city-owned icon. But in 2013 the community was betrayed by elected officials who had professed their support but were ultimately swayed by the demands of the suburban shopping mall developer, Howard Hughes. Our last market at this location was held on June 21, 2014.

We will now refocus on our founding mandate to reinvent the public market as a civic institution in the City of New York.





 

     
Directions